Clean your fruits and veggies and keep them longer

Here’s just a quick tip that could save your fruits and veggies, and that means your money.

I don’t know about you, but I grocery shop for my family once a week, and I load up. That used to mean that I had to organize my fresh produce in order of decay, so that we could eat them before they would go all yuck in my fridge. Sometimes, though, I wouldn’t feel like eating blueberries in time, but I would choke them down anyway, just to avoid the guilt of seeing them rot.

Thank goodness for Distilled White Vinegar. No more guilt-binging berries.

IMG_5991

Soak all of your fresh produce in enough water to cover the tops of everything. Throw in a cup or two of distilled white vinegar, depending on how much water you have to use. Let everything soak for about 10 minutes. (warning: when you see all the dirt at the bottom of your sink, you may be overcome with a sense of superiority because of how much cleaner your food is than your neighbors — just be cool).

IMG_5993

Rinse it all off very well and lay them all out to dry completely.

Now you can put them in your fridge to eat when you are ready.

Basically, you’re rinsing off all the crud that consumes your produce before you do. I’m not a scientist, but that’s my hypothesis. Makes sense to me. And you also save time later because you can just grab and go.

Happy Lazy Eating!

IMG_5998

Advertisements

12 Comments Add yours

1. HANNAH says:

You have seriously changed my life with this tip…..everything tastes better and lasts longer!!!! Thank you

2. This is such a wonderful idea Bev!I use the juice of lemon mixed with water for my fruits and some turmeric in warm water for my veggies.I will definitely try this vinegar trick!

Liked by 1 person

1. Beverly says:

Katyayini, tell me about using lemon and tumeric differently. I’d love to hear about the benefits!

Liked by 1 person

1. Sure lv! When using harder vegetables like cauliflower, I add a tablespoon of turmeric powder in some water and bring it to a boil.Then I add my cauliflower florets and let it boil for a while then turn it off and remove them after a couple of minutes.For the fruits I take the juice of a lemon in a bowl of water and add the berries in it.After a 30 min soak I drain the water.

Liked by 1 person

3. Oh!The citrus in lemon and the anti-fungal properties of turmeric-help clean produce.

1. Beverly says:

Gonna try! Thanks 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes ma’am! ^_^

4. Christina says:

I have fridge envy. Yes I do. That is the most beautiful fridge I’ve ever seen. I will be honest. Carrots and apples are about the only fruits and vegetables I buy because of how quick everything goes bad. Produce is so expensive to watch as it grows….things. I will try this next shopping trip!

Liked by 1 person

1. Beverly says:

Try it, Christina. I’m telling you, I felt the same frustration. This works really well. And when it’s all clean and ready to use, you’ll probably be more likely to grab it and eat it because it’s there ready to go. Let me know how it works! Fridge envy resolved 🙂

1. Christina says:

Shopping this week. I’ll let you know!

5. Vegan Mammy says:

Got to try this, and your fridge looks so organised. 🙂

1. Beverly says:

Let me know how it works for you 🙂

Liked by 1 person